September 19, 2006

Lisa's Cliche Story

OK, I hope you guys are working on your own cliche story, because I don't want to be the only one doing this! But, if it happens, it happens. Such is life. There's nothing to fear except fear itseslf. Everybody knows that. Come on, face it. Here goes, come what may, and we're off...
A TALL TALE

This morning, at the crack of dawn, I got up on the wrong side of the bed, and stepped on a cold turkey, which I was going to cook for dinner tonight. Well, naturally that opened up a can of worms when my mother saw it, because she had wanted a lame duck. Since I don't particularly care for duck -- lame, sitting, or dead -- I told her that soon we would have days of wine and roses, and I’d prepare a fancy feast, complete with ducks in a row. She was pleased as punch, yet choked with emotion, because she had nothing to bring to the table except sour grapes; a grain of salt, and two shakes of a lamb’s tail. I told her it would be my treat, and brought her a bowl of duck soup. "See?" I said, "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and looks like a duck, it must be a duck! The proof is in the pudding." I could tell that brightened her day, which lifted my spirits, and we savored the moment.

About midday, we decided to take a walk down in the dumps. I was thankful that we went the whole nine yards, because we hit the jackpot! I found some things that had been cut and dried, and at one point, turned to my mother and said, "Look! There's a feather in your cap." When I removed it, suddenly there were birds of a feather! "Flock together!" my mother cried, because it had started raining cats and dogs. Quickly, she let the cat out of the bag. I asked her if the cat got her tongue, because she was speaking with a forked tongue, and was slow as molasses. Her face was white as snow, and it was hard to swallow. But, since time heals all wounds, she was eventually given a clean bill of health. But that’s a whole other story!

On the way back home, to make a long story short, we didn’t cross the bridge until we came to it, which disgruntled my mother, as she was afraid of falling down the pipe. "Dream!" I told her, because when we stopped to take a rest, her and Rover took a catnap, and I normally prefer to let sleeping dogs lie. Later, when we came to a fork in the road, we took the road less traveled, which leads to nowhere. Suddenly, from a bolt out of the blue, my mother, crazy as a bat and a slowpoke, wanted to call it a day, but I said, "Now justa’ cotton-pickin’ minute! All in due time!" For a split-second, I thought she was going to pull the wool over my eyes, but as it turns out, she was just yanking my chain. But then, as luck would have it, she insisted that we find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, and I, knowing that silence is golden, said nothing. She began ranting and raving until she was blue in the face, so I told her that if we could see light at the end of the tunnel, then we’d be in business. I knew that I was talking to a brick wall, however, when she gave me some cock and bull story about betting the farm and there being a bee in her bonnet!

We finally made it over the hill and through the woods, which is when we both agreed that there’s no place like home.

The moral of the story is, don’t count your eggs before they hatch. That’s the good news. The bad news is, there’s egg on your face! Film at eleven.

10 comments:

linnette said...

Very, very good, Lisa! I read it to Carol. She liked it, too! Here's mine:
Dear Abby:

When I started this new job, I thought that maybe I was biting off more than I could chew, but I was between a rock and a hard place. I had to make ends meet and was having a hard time keeping my head above water. So, I turned over a new leaf and took the job. I was taking it one day at a time, getting my feet wet, learning the tools of the trade. I learned fast and now I'm raking in the dough. But, that's water under the bridge. My dilemma is a guy I work with that tugged at my heartstrings. He looks like something the cat dragged in. He is a real stick in the mud. But, I thought I'd go out on a limb and befriend him. Now I can't get him off my back. He gets offended so easily, I'm walking on thin ice. He would like for us to be two peas in a pod but he has his head in the clouds. I always have to fork out money for his lunch. He's a real thorn in my side. One day I was feeling under the weather, sick as a dog. Just wanted to kick back at home. Then he calls saying he'll be out in my neck of the woods. That's when I decided, I've got to nip this in the bud. I'm not going to beat around the bush. I've got to stand my ground. I told him that he is just not my cup of tea. But, he is like talking to a brick wall. I want to wash my hands of the whole matter, but I don't want to make waves. What can I do?

Lisa said...

oh, that is SO good, Linnette! I love it. It sounds natural, and sticks to the plot. Very witty!

SoCalT said...

It looks like I am a day late and a dollar short. Between the two of you all of the cliches have been used.

You can't win em' all I guess....

Lisa said...

Now Tavia, you just proved yourself wrong in your comment! There are thousands of cliches, it'd be impossible to use them all up, and even if it wasn't, just use them over, only in a different context!

I think that if anyone could come up with a GREAT cliche story, why, it'd be you, darlin'! Idn't that right, darlin'?

linnette said...

I think so, too, Tavia. You would be good at it.

SoCalT said...

Dear Linnette,

You sound like you are at the end of your rope. Becoming his friend was a bad call, you opened up a can of worms. The time has come to lay down the law. Tell em' like it is and that he does not stand a chance. Tell him there is a lid for every pot and you are not his lid. You know, honesty is the best policy. Let him down easy and tell him that time heals all wounds. Then, abandon ship! Now Linnette don't get all worked up, stay even keel, just get back on the horse. Let bygones be bygones and get back to being a worker bee. Work your fingers to the bone, like a dog.

Last but not least, absense makes the heart grow fonder! He will be back...

If so, give him a knuckle sandwich and he will be gone quicker than a New York minute.

Abby

Lisa said...

lol! That is hysterical. Did you really make that up, Tavia? See, I knew you'd do a good one!

SoCalT said...

no, lisa. it was stupid. it could have been much better but i was in a hurry.

linnette said...

Tavia, it is very, very good! Thank you for participating. I liked it! Those are fun to do.

Lisa said...

Oh Tave, I know that feeling when you think something you did could have been better. Don't you hate when that happens? I thought mine was great at first, until I read Linnette's, then I said to myself, "Forget it..." lol

But seriously, yours was GOOD.

StatCounter

Extreme