October 29, 2006

Saw Terrible Wreck

Here's something that happened on my way to Mom's yesterday, it was horrible. I had been going about 80 mph the whole way, but I suddenly noticed that I was low on gas, like on E! (empty) Not on the red, which means "you're low, better get gas", but on E, like "you're out, you're riding on fumes". So I was slowed down to about 55 mph, hoping I'd make it to the next gas station seven miles ahead. Well, this big diesel truck came up behind me, and started to pass, and at the same time this other car was going really fast, and tried to beat the diesel getting around me. Well, in my rear view I saw the car veer a little onto the left shoulder, to avoid getting sideswiped by the diesel, and then it swerved back on to the highway, but the driver lost control and the car flipped, and then it flipped again, and again, and again, and again, and again, and I was watching this in my rear view and saying, "OMG, OMG, OMG!" and it was flipping so fast that it appeared to literally bouncing. And I think the total number of times he flipped was ten, and that's a fair estimate, I'm not exaggerating! And you know when something like that happenes and all these thoughts rush through your head, one right after the other, and they're so fleeting, and you remember thinking them after the incident is over? Well, mine went something like this: "Oh, that car's on the shoulder, can he get back on the highway without losing control? Good, he's OK. Oh no, he's losing control! OMG, OMG, OMG! He's flipping! He's bouncing! When's he going to stop? Oh no, he's coming, he's coming, he's gonna hit me!" So I stepped on the gas to get further away from him, but since I was going only about 55 mph, I had to shift to third to get more power and then to fourth to go faster, and finally saw that I was out of the danger zone. But it was a close call. Everybody on the freeway pulled over, and as I drove on, I saw them trying to pull the guy out of the car, which had landed upside down, and they were having a hard time. Just as I got to a gas station, I heard sirens on their way to the scene.

Just thought I'd share my story.

Thanks, and have a nice day....

7 comments:

linnette said...

so, you were the cause of the accident because you were going too slow and they had to pass you? JUST KIDDING!! Yeah, that is really terrible. Wonder if the guy lived.

Anonymous said...

You know what, I'm thinking maybe I had something to do with it, because in the beginning, I'd been going the same speed as everyone else, but when I saw I was almost out of gas, I slowed way down, and I think the big diesel truck that came up behind me and started to pass didn't expect me to be going as slow as I was, which is why he didn't attempted to pass until he got up right behind me. So the car that flipped didn't expect the diesel truck to pass, or it thought it could keep going fast enough to get ahead of the truck. Here's what I really think: If I hadn't slowed down, the car wouldn't have flipped. That's what I think. But for that matter, if I hadn't been on the road when I was, the car wouldn't have flipped. So the question is, how far do I want to take responsibility for what happened? Not far enough to say that I caused the accident, that's for sure. The reason is, the person in that car was/is a big girl/boy, and she/he could have realized that they were risking an accident and slowed down.

I'm on my second glass of champagne, which I opened myself with a corkscrew, and am quite proud. lol!

SoCalT said...

Yeah, Lisa it sounds like you were the cause of the accident. I mean, of course the semi should have been paying more attention, and had enough distance so that if you were to slow way down he would have enough time to react. But, if you hadn't of slowed down, I bet it wouldn't have happened at all. I wonder if the person died. Hopefully there were not any dogs in the car.

Lisa said...

I don't know who was in the car, but for some reason I picture a clean-cut guy about 25 years old with dark hair, isn't that funny? I hope no one died, I really do.

linnette said...

I think Tavia is trying to be funny, Lisa. Trying to make you feel guilty. Like, I sure do hope the baby in the carseat was thrown from the car before it did all that flipping. And, just to think it all could have been prevented if you had made sure you had enough gas in your car.

Lisa said...

Oh, I thought she was serious!

NOw that I know she was kidding, I wish I hadn't driven all the way to the hospital before I drove home and inquired about the patient who was in the accident Saturday afternoon on the 10 East near Tonopah! Because they said he died.

Just kidding!

Anonymous said...

I just saw on the news that a lady driving a small car is wanted for leaving the scene of an accedent. But the car she ran of the road had just been involved in a bank heist and the lady in the little car has a 50k reward coming. Give yourself up and collect your money now.

StatCounter

Extreme