October 23, 2009

Death Penalty ... Can we trust the judicial process?

If you knew that one man was executed even though he was innocent, would you still support the death penalty? What if there were ten innocent men executed? What about 50? What about 100?

There is no way to tell how many of the over 1,000 people executed since 1976 may have been innocent. Courts do not generally entertain claims of innocence when the defendant is dead. However, there have been 138 death row exonerations. And, how many others are serving long sentences or life sentences that are innocent? I don't know.

In Dallas, TX, 40 cases have received post-conviction DNA analysis. 19 of them were found to be wrongful convictions. That is almost HALF!

What do you think? Please share your opinion.

3 comments:

Pryndana said...

I think it is terrible that innocent people have been executed. I don't think I have ever really thought if I supported the death penalty or not. I think at this point in my life I would say NO. The police officer who gave me a failure to stop was wrong (I stopped) and I proved it in court. There is too much human error involved.
Isn't it also really expense to execute someone?

Anonymous said...

With so much DNA testing these days, I totally like the death penalty. A rapist should always get the death penalty. Don't be so soft, Pyndana! Uncle H

linnette said...

Yes, it is more expensive when someone is sentenced to death than it is when they are given a life sentence (mostly because of the legal costs).

I have a real hard time with the idea that a rapist should always get the death penalty. There have been many guys falsely accused of rape.

If I KNEW that someone was guilty, then I wouldn't have a problem with a death sentence for someone who committed a horrible crime, HOWEVER, with the statistics AS THEY ARE NOW, I have to say that I am against the death penalty. I just don't trust our judicial system. Corrupt DA's want the guilty verdicts so they can be re-elected or move up the ladder. Happens all the time. If you don't believe me, let me know. I will give you a list of cases.

And, that is my opinion.

StatCounter

Extreme