September 24, 2006

I have to tell everyone what happened last night. It only lasted about a minute, but it was really scary.

OK, yesterday afternoon me and John drove around the lake checking out yard sales, and I pointed out a boat that was for sale, since he's been talking about getting one. So we turned around and, to make a long story not so long, John ended up buying the boat.

Well, we got it hitched up to John's truck for the ride home, and everything went smooth. No problem. As we were driving, John was thinking about how he should drive the get in the driveway, because it's a little steep, and he wanted to put the boat in the back yard. Well, he decided to back it in, while I watched, to let him know how he was doing, yelling, "OK, good! No, turn to the right a bit, turn, turn... PERFECT!" Anyway, that turned out fine too, and after he got out of his truck, I said, "Good job! I'm impressed!"

OK, so next thing he wants to do is get the boat off the truck hitch, which he manages without any problem, and since he made the whole process look so easy, I said, "You're a genius! Brilliant!" He laughed, and said, "Why, thank you!" I could tell he was feeling great about himself. lol.

Then, it happened. There the boat was, off the hitch, and it starts sliding down the grass, slowly at first, and I yell, "John!" He sees the problem, and glances at the distance between the boat and his truck, to see if he can get it back on the hitch really quick. It's too late.

Now, keep in mind that the boat is sliding backwards; in other words, the back of the boat is heading toward down the slope, and we're trying to hold on to the front of the boat, and it's dragging us. Anyway, there we were, trying to stop the boat, and we're getting closer and closer to the neighbor's house, and if we don't STOP it, it's going to crash right into it!! And we only have a few seconds, because it's picking up speed. All these thoughts were running through my head as this was happening: "Oh no, we're not strong enough to stop it! OK, steer it away from the neighbor's house, and hope John's thinking the same thing! OK, it won't hit the neighbor's house, but it's still sliding! If we can't stop it, it'll keep sliding down, in between our house and the neighbor's, but then it will keep going and crash into the neighbor's house behind us!" And I could see their house with their lights on, and it looked inevitable that the boat was going to crash into their house!

Then suddenly, the boat stopped. It had run into the side fence, which I forgot was even there! And luckily, about two days ago, I had tied wire through that fence, to keep it attached to the side gate, which was the only thing that stopped it! Later, John said, "Boy, I sure am glad you tied that wire!" And he said that when it looked like the boat was going to crash into the first neighbor's house, he had the same thought as me, "We can't stop it, so steer it away, steer it away!"

Anyway, I wish the whole incident had been recorded, it would have won on American's funniest videos!

4 comments:

SoCalT said...

A family boat? Cool. When is the maiden voyage? Can we all go?

linnette said...

Oh my! I bet the look on your faces during all that would have been so, so funny!

Anonymous said...

I want to go, too!

Lisa said...

You know what was so funny, as it was happening, I remember almost starting to laugh because of the way John looked as we were trying to hang on and the boat was dragging us down with it. And afterward, we both laughed. HARD!

What, you said something about it being a "family boat"? Yes, I think John plans to take his family out in it when they come to visit. lol. Just kidding!

StatCounter

Extreme