September 4, 2009

Test of Ethics and Logic

You are driving down the road in your car on a very cold, stormy and rainy night. You pass by a bus stop and you see three people waiting for the bus:
1. An old lady who looks as if she is about to die.
2. An old friend who once saved your life.
3. The perfect partner you have been dreaming about.

Your car will only hold one passenger. What should you do?

You could pick up the old lady, because she could die and thus you should save her first. Or you could take the old friend because he once saved your life, and this would be the perfect chance to pay him back. However, you may never be able to find your perfect mate again.

Think about it before you answer. And, remember, your car will only hold one passenger. What would you do?

This is a moral/ethical dilemma that was actually used as part of a job application. To see the answer of the person who was hired, go to the "Comments" section.

5 comments:

linnette said...

The job candidate who was hired answered this way: 'I would give the car keys to my old friend and let him take the old lady to the hospital. I would stay behind and wait for the bus with the partner of my dreams.'

Sometimes, we gain more if we are able to give up our stubborn thought limitations. Never forget to think outside of the box.

How did YOU answer the question? (I opted to take the old lady.)

Anonymous said...

I took the perfect partner...
the old lady is going to die anyway, it's not going to hurt the old friend to continue waiting for the bus, but you know damn well that for me a find a perfect partner is a miracle!

Anonymous said...

Tavia have you seen this?
http://www.youtube.com:80/watch?v=YGAaPjqdbgQ

TSA and the whole deal since 9-11 is a fake according to this video.

I didn't look to see if this has been posted before on the blog.

Go Ron Paul...
Lou Burke

SoCalT said...

I have not watched that, Lou. I am going to now.

Anonymous said...

Lisa said...
That's a perfect answer, isn't it? I'd hire whoever gave that answer too.
My answer would be that if the perfect partner was waiting for a bus, I wouldn't want him anyway, and the old lady will probably die of natural causes before the storm's over anyway, and the only reason the old friend's at the bus stop to begin with is because he's looking for an opportunity to be a hero again.

JUST KIDDING.

StatCounter

Extreme